Note that some of the features are available only for the business account.
Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Tools for Google Docs
- Voice Typing
- Spelling and Grammar Check
- Activity Dashboard: can see who and when is active in the document
- Explore: The right bottom button. It can search inside the panel of the document, either google search or search in Google Drive. Also, it can add citation to the document.
- ChromeVox: This is an extension of Chrome. It can read out the text based on the extension settings.
- Tools for Google Sheets
- Tools for Google Slides
- Live Caption
- Live Q&A: Audience can ask questions using a link during the speech.
- Remote: First add Remote for Slides extension, then we can find the remote option. Following the instruction, we can use our phone or ipad to remotely access or control the slides.
- Transition: use this to add animation to the slides.
Remember that Google allows communication among G-Suite, so we can use the result of Google Sheets and so on to build our sites.
- It is available in Google Calendar and Gmail.
- We can directly drag an email to the Tasks to set a reminder to reply to the email.
- We can use it to save links for one specific projects, instead of putting all of them to the bookmarks.
- Create notes and links.
Google Apps script
- Goal: Make buttons that push themselves; automate small or repeatable tasks
- Example: (1)Grab information from a website; (2)Spreadsheet Updater + Email Sender
- Resources: Google Apps Script; Some interesting implementations
Google Drive Structure
- External folder/ Internal folder: create different versions for different group
- Ownership and Sharing
- Everytime you create a document, remember to change the ownership.
- Create a Google group.
- Best Practices
- Shallow folder structure
- Descriptive folders and file names
- User key definition words at the beginning of your file names followed by a color to describe the file contents
- Bookmark folders
- List a contact for all first category subfolders
- Use a date format
- Use the search options button(downside triangle) beside the search bar
- Found files & orphan/ unorganized files
- Can create a To-be-Deleted folder
- Understanding impact of moving folders
- Good to Know
- Drive settings to automatically convert documents to google formats
- Scan files to drive with your phone
- Training Resources
- Search and Filter
- Use the downside triangle to do advanced search
- Use filter to automatically cope with emails that you will not pay attention to, but may need it later.
- Go to settings to find the options of filters and blocked addresses.
- Use Boolean operators to do search.
- The IT group can help recover the deleted email.
- Snooze email, instead of setting a calendar or reminder.
- Scheduled send: write it now, and send it later.
- Working Hours Setting: a way to protect your time.
- Speedy Meetings Settings
- Appointment Slots: allow people to schedule time with you. It is available for business account.
- Guest Settings: sometimes it would be convenient if we allow guests to modify events.
- Invisible but still could block your time.(haven’t figured out how to do this yet)
- Use publish events to add google calendar to personal sites.
- Suggested Times: find the time that is appropriate for everyone. Create an event-> Add guests -> Suggested Times
- QR Code for instant collection of information, linked to google forms and then to sheets.
- Embed with the slides and create a live chart from a google sheet.
- Google Hangouts Meet: has live caption
- Chat(Not open yet for UMN)